Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My idols

Last night I was talking with my husband about how I can now truly identify with other moms who say "I'm lucky to get a shower in on a given day". For the 7 years I have been a mother, I have been a working mother. I was thrown into the routine of being up, showered and dressed and sweeping my kids out the door, into the van and to daycare.

It was the hardest 7 years of my life.

At least I smelled good :)

Since November, I have had the privilege of loving on my kids full time at home. It was a difficult transition for me, all of a sudden we were not in need of my income. We had worked very hard to pay off our debt so I could be at home. November was the time I had yearned for for 7 years. It came...and it was hard.


I learned that my profession was something I put my identity in-it became an idol and I was struggling with my pride to let it go. I was struggling with letting go of the income I was making because we would be on a tighter budget.


Now, as a full time mama to my three little loves, I can say that I wouldn't trade it for a second. I'm lucky to get a shower every day....and to get a shower without a little fist knocking at the door, now THAT would be a gift.

Trust Jesus.

A lesson I could never get sick of learning.

Even as I type this with one hand and hold my daughter in the other, I look at her and thank God that we put the discipline and sacrifices in our lives that we did for me to not miss another moment of my kids' growing up.


Being at home broke me if my pride and idols I've had in my life without knowing it. Thank you Jesus.

As this year unfolds, it is my prayer that my identity remains in who I am in Christ and not how great or not great of a mom I am.

3 comments:

mountain mama said...

thank you for sharing ~ yes, it's amazing the idols we have in our lives without knowing it. so glad you get to stay home with your babies...and are debt free!!!!

God bless~

Shannonheick said...

great post! if you did get to shower today, you are doing better than me. i have not. and probably won't.
aside from that, i am with you and loving every, ok most, seconds of my life as a full time mama! :)

Leslie said...

I'm so happy for you! Enjoy every minute:)