Sunday, January 17, 2010

Miracle.

Today I held a sweet baby girl who was born at 24 weeks gestation. She was discharged from the NICU today after spending over 4 months in the hospital. It was a miracle that she survived. It brought me back to the days my 2 boys were in the NICU, though much older than 24 weeks, and all the emotions that went along with that experience. Miracle.

It also made me think of how vulnerable children are and how there are babies just like her born to mamas around the world who lack the resources to help their babies survive.

And they die.

Does your heart break for the children in your community and around the world whose innocence is so quickly shattered because of a natural disaster, physical or sexual abuse, or lack of resources her family doesn't have access to (like water)?

For some reason, God instilled in me at a young age a burden for innocent victims of the world's horrible atrocities. I use my blog to help bring awareness of orphan care to those of you who also may feel the pangs in your heart to make a difference.

I also want to bring awareness to avenues that you can participate in that can make a huge impact. If you follow me on Twitter, you may also find others that I tweet to that are also in the same arena I am. It is JOY to celebrate miracles of healing, a well being drilled, 400 pairs of shoes purchased for orphan's feet and an adoption.

My blog will be taking a new twist, you see. A twist that my husband and I would like to share with you. We would like to invite you into our journey as we prayerfully consider adoption ourselves.

Adoption is something that has been pressed upon our hearts for some time, we just needed to find THE time we felt was right. We are not ready to share where we are adopting from, as some details we need to keep private for now, but we are REALLY excited!

I've spoken to enough parents to say that it is a joyful, yet heart-wrenching experience. A miracle.

"A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows,is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families." - Psalm 68:5-6

God sets the lonely in families. I have found that to be true many times as I have seen God complete families through adoption.


Have any of you adopted before? To be honest, I am scared. I need you to help encourage us in those hard moments and rejoice with us in those WAHOOOO moments. We need prayer. Our God is a big God. It's amazing that He knows our future daughter right now (yes, we are hoping for a girl) and is protecting her. His eye is on the sparrow.

And that, in fact, is a miracle :)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I think it is great there are people like you who work with these children who need help! I am also so excited for your family for the journey you are taking in adopting.

Unknown said...

We are with you on the adoption journey. We are currently awaiting a special needs adoption from China, and are filling out paperwork for Ethiopia. May God bless your journey!

kkvernen said...

My mom was adopted. I often think about what would have happened if her parents had chosen to not have her. Would I be here today? You are giving the child that you adopt a gift that will bless generations to come! God's blessing on you and your family as you walk this journey!

Love said...

you've got it! you're on my list and i will be praying for you regularly. looking forward to watching your journey unfold. it is honestly the most wonderful blessing.
YAAAAAAAAY!!!!